Thursday, April 10, 2014

J Is For Just

Just! Just by itself it is a sentence that speaks volumes. As a word it is used just about everywhere, in just about every circumstance, and just about anybody and everything.

Just has become a mere placeholder in daily language. "I'll just put it over here." "That's just about right." "I heard it just now." "Just in case."  It's said so often that we don't really know what we are really saying when we say it.

The dictionary defines Just: guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness. It actually comes from the Latin word justus righteous, equivalent to jus law, right.

So what are we really saying when we say, "I'll just put it over here."? Are we saying that it's fair or righteous that we put it over here? When we say, "That's just about right.", are we saying that just is almost right or that right is almost just?

I like the sound and the implications of the word Just.  It is complete, especially when you know what the word means.


Just so you know, it's not just a filler-word to me.  It's an answer that begs no questions, a statement that covers all.



3 comments:

  1. Nice job of delving into the word, "just".

    It's fascinating how the word just can change the meaning of a sentence by shifting the word to the left or to the right, or even two spaces. I've learned it's a word I have to watch out for--a real catalyst for incorrect syntax. :-) Good post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post but then again, I would as my blog is called, "Just The Stuff Ya Know."

    Thanks for coming by.
    ~Naila Moon

    ReplyDelete
  3. For funsies, I took one of your paragraphs and subbed out "just" for other words that could serve as (inferior?) alternatives in the same context. Trying to not say "just" is a real challenge. The word has great range!

    Just has become a mere placeholder in daily language. "I'll, without much contemplation, put it over here." "That's nearly about right." "I heard it only now." "As a precaution, in case."

    ReplyDelete