Tuesday, April 8, 2014

H Is For Harmony

When I was growing up, whether I was singing or playing an instrument, I would be doing the harmony. I was always amazed at how complete and full harmony made the song. It didn't take long for me to realize the importance of it.  It made me listen to the melody, every note, every bar, every forte', so I could fit the perfect harmonic note in at the perfect time.  It really was the support for the melody.  Harmony was what I was good at.

It wasn't until later in life that I realized just how ironic harmony had become in life.  I started noticing how I listened to people for that right word, or that right moment, or that right feeling; giving and helping and covering for them.  In all areas of my life, I started to see how I was more supporting of everyone and everything: I had become harmony.

What I didn't notice was the fading of melody in my life. Slowly it crept out of existence and I found myself harmonizing to what I thought was melody, or maybe the memory of it, to nothing. Some things happen to make you see the lack of balance in your life, and without melody, harmony is just an undertone, with no direction.

It's okay to be harmony, to be supportive and sacrifice for others in need.  But we have to be careful not to do it so blindly that we lose ourselves and lose the melody of our spirits.  Melody will return when we bring balance back in our lives. And when melody returns, you can sit back and enjoy the harmony of it all. It will be complete and full when it does.




1 comment:

  1. A very good reminder of both harmony and melody! We can go to far either direction.
    Regards and Best Wishes
    Jim
    A to Z challenge
    http://themasculinepen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete